Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Butterfly is Released

On Monday morning, April 28th I checked into the hospital.  Dr. S was running ahead of schedule so they took me back shortly after 10am.  I laid down, told someone I was scared (because I was) and they told me everything would be fine.  The anesthesiologist came in and introduced himself, asked me a bunch of questions and then started the line in my left arm.  He gave me something to relax me and then it all started.  The oxygen mask was put on my face and out I went.

I woke up nearly three hours later in excruciating pain.   I heard, "she woke up too fast."  And "the i.v. line was malfunctioning."  I was crying, trying to tell them how much pain I was in while they struggled with my I.V.  They took it out of my elbow and tried to put it in my hand.  They didn't work too well.  Then they put it in the other hand and that worked better.  I was still crying, ow, ow, ow, ow.    They finally were able to give me pain meds and anti-nausea meds and I started to feel a little better.   When they wheeled me away to go up to my room, they took me by the cafeteria and I almost lost my cookies from the smells.  UGH!!!

Then I was moved into my room where I was hooked up to a saline i.v.  My voice wasn't too bad but I was in good amount of pain still.  I just laid there mostly, people came to see me, I had flowers delivered.  They tried to get me to eat and it was a liquid diet.  It was crap and I sent it all back.  My throat was in SO much pain, the inside of my throat from the tube, I imagine.  I could barely swallow water it hurt so bad.   They kept giving me pain meds (tylenol with codeine and dillaudid) and I was just laying there.

I was so glad when everyone had to leave.  I watched Sex and the City on TBS and tried to sleep. The night nurse was very sweet and she would pop in and take my vitals, ask me about pain, etc.  I didn't sleep much and by morning I was over it all.  Dr. S came to see me and asked how I was.  He told me he didn't think the cancer had spread and that everything looked good.  Then his assistant came in and admitted they had problems in the recovery room.  Then she said I could go home.  My calcium was a little low but not enough for them to give me calcium or to keep me any longer.  One of my favorite coworkers called and I burst into tears just because I was so over it all.

Dr. M never came to see me, which was fine.  I felt and looked so crappy I would have been embarassed if he had come, anyway.  

I was so happy to get home but still in so much pain!!  I cried a lot.  I didn't have any help.  But I did sleep.  Glorious sleep!

No comments: