Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Victory is Mine (or how I learned to triumph over my HMO)

I have a surgery date.  I am so incredibly relieved.  My depression lifted immediately and I feel so much better.

I called the HMO again late this afternoon and lo and behold, I had approval!  So Icalled Dr. S's office as fast as I could and we scheduled it all.  I have a pre-op next week, the surgery on the following Monday, and then a post-op in eight days.  

For the pre-op I am only having a blood test and a bunch of meetings with insurance people and nurses.  I expected a lot more than that, so this is good.  I've read that often a CT scan or MIR is done as well as a laryngoscopy, which sounded really awful.  But I am not having any of those.  Keep in mind that I am considered an easy to treat case and that cancer hasn't been 100% totally confirmed, though  I don't doubt Dr. S's proclamation that a highly suspicious biopsy is always cancer.  

I have no idea if my three-day long streak of pestering the HMO had any effect on how fast or slowly this was approved, but always ALWAYS be your own advocate.  This is important anytime we see the doctor but when things have really gone down hill, that is the time to grit your teeth and push through it.

I went through this when I was first diagnosed hypothyroid in 2005.  My primary care physician didn't think my hypo was bad enough for levothyroxine.  I tested in at 7.5, with extreme brain fog, cold extremities, brittle hair, short-term memory problems, no period, bloat, and severe depression.  Dr. K initially diagnosed me as suffering from severe clinical depression.  I had five TSH tests, each one was progressively better so she said I was fine, even though I also had very high antibodies.    I said hell no and got her to start me on the drugs.  Later when I didn't show improvement and I asked for an increased dosage, she told me no and so I decided to be treated 
exclusively  by Dr. M and his staff.  He had a fellowship holder, the "other" Dr. K, who was incredibly
awesome, and she worked with me and listened to me.  I hardly saw Dr. M, just her and that was fine.

I managed to get a little work done today.  Luckily I think I can catch up tomorrow before I meet with my boss on Thursday.   My mojo is back now that I have a date to get this crap out
of me.  

Yay, wheatgrass shots for all!

No comments: